Axis Bank, in line with its ‘DilSeOpen’ philosophy announced #ComeAsYouAre, a charter of policies and practices for their employees and customers from the LGBTQIA+ community. With these initiatives, Axis Bank becomes one of the first Banks in India to take such steps to promote and implement diversity, equity and inclusion.
The #ComeAsYouAre is a charter of policies and practices that embrace diversity, equity and inclusion within the organization and for its customers. Axis bank employees will now be able to list their partners for mediclaim benefits irrespective of gender, sex or marital status, dress in accordance with their gender/gender expression, use a restroom of their choice (in accordance with their gender identities), and will redress challenges faced by employees from the community. Further, the bank has initiated all gender restrooms at their large offices.
For customers, the Bank has embarked on its journey to expand its inclusive banking offerings, and will roll out more of such initiatives in a phased manner. Effective from 20th September 2021, customers will be able to opt for the following at our branches:
- Can open a Joint Savings Bank Account or a Term Deposit with their same sex partner
- Can add ‘Mx’ as a title: Customers who are gender non binary, gender fluid or transgender persons will have the option of choosing their title from the option of ‘Mx’ in their Savings or Term Deposit Account.
- Can make their same sex partner a nominee in their Savings or Term Deposit Account at Axis Bank
Commenting on this initiative, Rajesh Dahiya, Executive Director, Axis Bank said, “At Axis, we have put our focus on diversity, equity and inclusion that respects and recognizes the importance of distinctive life journeys and several identities that extend beyond the paradigms of gender. This for us is as much about the invisible markers as it is about the visible ones. It is our belief that it fosters a culture of innovation and leverages the multiple talent pools that exist in a rich demography like ours.”
“Our Bank’s wider ESG aligned commitments, the ‘diversity & inclusion’ agenda has been a strategic focus. Towards that our work internally focusses on creating equitable processes and policies that allow us to create space for everyone to thrive. We welcome you to join us in this journey as change makers. ‘ComeAsYouAre’ as we are ‘DilSeOpen’”, he added.
- REEL DESIRES: Chennai International Queer Film Festival Online, Showcases Diverse Gender and Sexualities - December 2, 2021
- Stonewall National Museum & Archives Launches Interactive Online LGBTQ History Timelines - October 12, 2021
- Hyderabad Hosts India’s First ever BI/PAN Pride Fest - September 21, 2021